This week, our Facebook and Instagram feeds were flooded with grand gestures of love. Long stem roses, chocolate covered strawberries, sparkly gifts, prix fix dinners out on the town, or homemade dinners for two. Meanwhile, Jaymi and I shared a romantic evening of chicken and chocolate chip cookies in heart shaped containers because the Daddy’s were working late. Once upon a time, we may have grumbled about the apparent lack of affection and romance on our Valentine’s Day, but this is what our life is these days. And the truth is, we don’t mind a bit.
Yes, we still LOVE our husbands, and sometimes we even gush about them, but romance looks very different these days. The key to making it work is embracing all the little ways our partners are romantic, and not taking those for granted. So here’s our thank you, for all these little things our fellas do year round to show us how much they love and appreciate us.
This post contains affiliate links. You can read more at our Legal Page. Thank you.
It’s that time again! Just like we’ve gotta feed these kids breakfast every morning, so too can you expect our Saturday six every weekend! Well, unless we run out of coffee. Then, no promises. But this week we’re caffeinated and hyped up about these six things.
1. This week we were called “Brilliant.” And we will not let that go unacknowledged, so that you very much to The Mummy Club! Obviously they have fantastic taste in blogs, so go check out the rest of their Blogger Showcase.
2. Christine was a little disheartened last year when she didn’t hit her reading goal for the first time in forever, but she’s back in the saddle and killing it this year. Right now she’s reading Little Fires Everywhere and it may just be our next Salty Mama Book Club selection…I mean real characters, Mothers that aren’t perfect, exploring Mother-daughter relationships – what more could you ask for in this can’t-put-it-down book?
3. It’s National Chocolate Cake Day. Which needs no explanation except now you have permission to get dessert tonight, so you’re welcome.
5. The Salty Mamas trade babies every Friday while the Bigs are in school so we can cross some things off our list totally childfree. And despite having a list of errands a mile long, Christine made the executive decision to do this instead.
And she doesn’t regret it one bit.
6. And finally, once upon a time, Christine thought Twitter was lame. Also, she didn’t understand it at all. Which is probably why she thought it was lame. But now? Obsessed. Here’s a mini roundup of Tweets that made us laugh this week.
I need a manicure, pedicure – all the cures 😂 #momlife
After two kids, I have mastered the epic sport of speed-peeing in a public bathroom. Time starts when the stall door closes and if you don’t finish peeing and wiping by the time your toddler figures out how to open the door, you lose. #momlife
This post contains affiliate links. You can read more at our Legal Page. Thank you
Whoa! This week was full of ups and downs for The Salty Mamas, but it’s the weekend now and we are gonna have FUN, gosh darn it. So let’s start the day off with some positivity- here’s what’s making us happy this week!
2. It is CAMELIA SEASON. These little flowers have brought me so much joy over the years, especially because they bloom right around Lila’s birthday each year. I was kind of obsessed with having fresh-cut flowers in the house when Lila came home from the hospital (because irrational pregnant woman) and they’ve been part of the centerpieces at her birthday parties ever since. She turns five today, and she loves the camelias as much as her mama does (well, she loves tearing them up, but STILL.)
3. This simple, pretty swing dress from Amazon. It was on a lightning deal this week, but even when it’s not the price is right. And it has POCKETS. Dreaming of the day when I can wear it on my MomSquad cruise! (Hey MomSquad- you should all get one, obviously, so we can be matchy-matchy.)
4. If you haven’t tried this Balsamic Pork Tenderloin that’s been floating around Pinterest lately forever, please cook it up this week. It’s so simple but SO full of flavor. Serve it up with roasted potatoes and a green veggie, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal that is gluten-sensitivity-friendly. (Which, don’t even get me STARTED on my beef with gluten. It’s a whole post for a whole ‘nother day.) As a bonus side note, the whole meal costs about $5 to make, assuming you are buying your ingredients at the right time. Looking for more simple meals? Check out our post here and our Pinterest board here.
5. We are currently crushing on fellow mom-blogger Lindsey from Every Day Above Dirt. She is so sweet and so real, and her Instagram feed is full of cute babies and puppies and real life. Check her out!
6. Finally, this little video. Because YES, and because we needed a giggle this week.
What took YOU to your happy place this week? We want to hear about it!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read more at our Legal page. Thank you!
In the slightly altered words of Andy Cohen, here’s what six things we’re obsessed with today:
1. Jaymi is the Queen of the Hustle, got Christine hooked on all the Micro Hustles and now you don’t have to just believe us. Believe our friend over at Baby Costs Money. After all, she’s legit tracking how much it costs to raise her toddler. (And yes, it’s horrifying). So if she’s celebrating Jaymi as a hustler? Well it’s pretty official.
2. Christine is gearing up for her #Momsquad cruise by grabbing herself some new sunglasses. Jaymi turned her onto EyeBuyDirect.com and now Christine is obsessed. And the proud owner of two new pairs of sunglasses. Check them out and get $10 off your order when you use this link! And stay tuned – Christine will show off her new shades when they arrive!
5. The Turndown. Do you watch these guys? Because they have basically videotaped every conversation Chad and Christine have ever had in bed. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just click the link and do it now.
6. Monday is a holiday which means the kids’ schools are closed (BOO!) but one of the Daddies has the day off work (YAY!) Also….sorry Jaymi…. What are you doing to celebrate/survive this bonus day off?
3. Christine FINALLY started using the Kmart Hacks we told you about, and now she is as excited as Jaymi is. I mean, just LOOK at all the stuff she got this week- for $6 TOTAL!
4. We started a Health and Wellness challenge with our friends that has us very hungry, but very motivated. Of course, it also involves the chance to win some cash, so you can see why we of all people would be VERY motivated.
5. Jaymi got a new Felt Board, and she loves it SO MUCH. It’s revolutionized our Instagram account, so if you’re not following us yet, now is a good time to start!
6. We booked our next #MomSquad cruise and we COULD NOT be more excited. We lived our version of our best life by celebrating with cheap blue drinks at the bar at Applebees. As one does. Cheers!!!
Ding, dong, it’s December. And for many people that means snowmen and snowball fights and the dazzling white of the first snow and did I mention snow? But here in sunny Southern California, winter looks a little different. Sure, it’s a brisk 45 degrees out right now as the sun comes up, but I’ve got to dress the kids in light layers at school because it’ll be 70 and sunny when I pick them up at noon. And I’m bringing POPSCICLES to school for my daughter’s birthday. Basically, snow is not on the menu this December. And I’m not even a little salty about it.
Ahh, it’s that time of year again. The lights! The food! The parties! The inappropriate board games! The passive-aggression! Read on for a list of things we have overheard at holiday parties so far this year.
This post contains affiliate links. Additionally, this post is part of a sponsored opportunity through MomSelect and HP. You can read more at our Legal Disclosures page. Thank you!
You know how it goes- you have a friend that you exchange gifts with regularly. Sometimes you start out when you’re single, then move on to couples’ gifts. Pretty soon a baby comes, and then another…and another…and another…and another…and soon you are buying for a small tribe.
1.This article our friend Ruth wrote last year for Kveller.com, because she’s absolutely a big deal and an amazing writer, and we are the jerks that called her out on her advent calendar, but we love her and her honesty about raising an inter-faith child.
3.This mug from Amazon, because it speaks to us in the most basic of ways, and speaks all the truth.
4. This Brown Sugar Cookie recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, because sometimes you sign up to make three dozen cookies for the homeless and then you forget you ever signed up until the coordinator texts you to arrange pickup and you didn’t buy any ate all of the Christmas cookie ingredients you had purchased but thank GOODNESS you always have the ingredients needed to make these. And they are INCREDIBLE.
5. Playdates with our friends, because they give us LIFE. We highly recommend you invite all of your friends over immediately, and make everyone a latte, and don’t clean at all, and just relish some girl talk while the kiddos entertain each other steal each other’s crackers and push each other, but at least you got time with your friends and that’s what matters.
6. The Mensch on the Bench, so that people of all faiths can suffer through the insanity of moving a little figure around their house. Happy Hannukah!