Ahh, it’s that time of year again. The lights! The food! The parties! The inappropriate board games! The passive-aggression! Read on for a list of things we have overheard at holiday parties so far this year.
This post contains affiliate links. Additionally, this post is part of a sponsored opportunity through MomSelect and HP. You can read more at our Legal Disclosures page. Thank you!
You know how it goes- you have a friend that you exchange gifts with regularly. Sometimes you start out when you’re single, then move on to couples’ gifts. Pretty soon a baby comes, and then another…and another…and another…and another…and soon you are buying for a small tribe.
Before you start tearing your hair out buying little toys for all those little people, might we suggest a few gifts that the whole family will love. Continue reading “Best Gifts for Families”
Here’s what caught our eye this week…
1. This article our friend Ruth wrote last year for Kveller.com, because she’s absolutely a big deal and an amazing writer, and we are the jerks that called her out on her advent calendar, but we love her and her honesty about raising an inter-faith child.
3. This mug from Amazon, because it speaks to us in the most basic of ways, and speaks all the truth.
4. This Brown Sugar Cookie recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, because sometimes you sign up to make three dozen cookies for the homeless and then you forget you ever signed up until the coordinator texts you to arrange pickup and you
didn’t buy any ate all of the Christmas cookie ingredients you had purchased but thank GOODNESS you always have the ingredients needed to make these. And they are INCREDIBLE.
5. Playdates with our friends, because they give us LIFE. We highly recommend you invite all of your friends over immediately, and make everyone a latte, and don’t clean at all, and just relish some girl talk while the kiddos
entertain each other steal each other’s crackers and push each other, but at least you got time with your friends and that’s what matters.
6. The Mensch on the Bench, so that people of all faiths can suffer through the insanity of moving a little figure around their house. Happy Hannukah!
This post contains affiliate links. As always, the thoughts and opinions expressed here are our own. You can read more about it at our Legal & Disclosures. Thank you!
Here are six things we are LOVING on this week.
Not being big on March Madness and the like, we never thought we would take a bracket so seriously. But pitting A Christmas Story versus It’s a Wonderful Life? Oh, it’s ON! Continue reading “Saturday Six”
It’s the time of year – where everyone decides to be grateful and share one thing a day for which they give thanks. And yes, we’re thankful for our health and our kids and our husbands. But let’s face it, there is a whole world of very specific things that Moms of little kids are thankful for.
Here are our thirty (with a little help from our friends):
This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about our disclosures and policies here. Thank you!
I don’t know about you guys, but school mornings at our house have always been like WOAH. From back in the day when I was a teacher trying to hustle my little one off to daycare, to now as a SAHM trying to hustle my big one off to class, the name of the game has always been to get everyone fed as quickly- and as free of chaos!- as possible. Here, you’ll find our ten favorite recipes and tricks to make eating breakfast go down a little easier. Continue reading “Easy Breakfasts for Busy Mornings”
This post contains affiliate links. As always, the thoughts and opinions expressed here are our own. You can read more at our Legal & Disclosures page. Thank you!
I don’t know about you guys, but we are constantly waging the Battle Against Stuff over here. My kids have all the toys, all the gadgets and gizmos, and so many clothes. And do you know what they play with most? Rocks and balls and baby dolls, and we’ve got plenty of all of those things already! But Christmas will come around again, and lovely, well-intentioned people will be asking me what the kids want. So, what DO you get the child that has everything? Here’s a few of our favorite ideas! Continue reading “Gifts For the Kid That Has EVERYTHING”
Here’s a list of ten tidbits about The Salty Mamas. Some of these things we are super proud of, and other things OH MY GOSH NO WE ARE NOT (hey, we gotta keep it real though). And also, we’re not telling you whose is whose. Because of A.) Shame and B.) We don’t wanna. So, in no particular order, here are ten things you didn’t know (and maybe didn’t WANT to know?) about The Salty Mamas. Continue reading “10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Salty Mamas”
One year, for Jaymi’s birthday, she made it her mission to travel around to all the different places that would give her something free on her birthday. She ruled out the free ferry ride to Catalina, but she vowed to tackle every.other.thing.
She’s never been so sick in her life.
Do you have any idea HOW MANY PLACES will give you free food and drinks on your birthday? It’s kind of ridiculous, but also, it’s kind of awesome. So, without further ado, a list of places that will give you something FREE for your birthday (food, drinks, and otherwise!).
1.Kohl’s- As part of their Yes2You Rewards program, you will receive a coupon for $5 off a $5 purchase (aka the holy grail of coupons). That’s $5 free dollars to spend on the item of your choice!
2. Baskin Robbins– When you sign up on their website, you will get a free scoop of ice cream for your special day.
3. Cold Stone kind of gets in on the action as a part of their eClub, but they’ll send you a Buy One Get One coupon instead of an outright freebie.
4. Dairy Queen wants to offer you a BOGO Blizzard, which they’ll send you if you sign up here.
5. Einstein Bros. Bagels–By registering for the emails (adorably called the Shmear Society), you’ll earn yourself a free breakfast sandwich when you purchase a drink.
6. IHOP– One stack of free pancakes, coming right up! You can sign up here.
7. Denny’s will give you a free grand slam, and you don’t even have to sign up for anything for that one. Just show your valid ID on your birthday, and breakfast is on them!
8. Starbucks– As long as you have an account, you will get one free drink of your choice. Any type, any flavor, ANY SIZE. So that means if you want a Venti Maple Pecan Latte with Extra Whip and a Shot of Espresso, they’ll give it to you for FREE, along with a complimentary tummyache.
9. Red Robin– Get a free burger anytime during your BirthMonth when you sign up for the Red Robin Royalty program.
10. Old Navy gives their email subscribers a free gift on their birthday. Head to their website at oldnavy.com and then scroll down to where it says “Sign Up For Email.” Make sure you update your preferences when prompted to do so, as that’s how you’ll get your birthday email.
11. Victoria’s Secret– Sign up on their website here. They want you to think you have to sign up for a credit card for this, but you don’t! Just scroll down to the bottom where it says “Get Exclusive Angel Offers.”
12. Krispy Kreme– sign up for their eClub, and you’ll get a free donut when your birthday rolls around.
13. There are plenty of other places that will give you something, like a free dessert, on your birthday, but honestly, that’s a LOT of places (Black Angus, Chili’s, Applebees, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, etc). So if you’re heading to a restaurant to celebrate, make sure you check their site or ask your server to see if they offer something to the birthday boy or girl.
So there you have it, our (partial) list of places that want to help you celebrate your big day (or, in some cases, your big month!) in style. Got any that you would add to the list? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Yes, sometimes as Mom’s we’re way too excited about the little things. Like an extra piece of chicken or getting a good cart at the grocery store. But on the flip side? We’re sometimes overly salty – and I’m not talking about being salty in the good way like McDonald’s fries. I’m talking about the fact that we’re chronically exhausted and under-caffeinated no matter how hard we try to drink all the Cokes and coffees, and sometimes that makes us go from zero to salty in 2 shakes.
- When people order a plain old Coca Cola from a Coke Freestyle machine (we’re looking at you, Michael). You’ve got allllll the choices in the world, and you choose to be boring. I can’t. It’s just such a waste of a Cherry-coke-esque opportunity. See Also: people who order vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting at bakeries that pride themselves on having a million flavors (I’m looking at you, Nicole).
- People who try to “cut” in line while merging onto the freeway. And I know I’m not alone in this. But I think it’s the teacher in me that simply cannot stomach someone breaking kindergarten rules. I’m assuming you’ve know said rule for at LEAST 11 years if you’re driving a car, and you STILL don’t know not to break it? So. Rude.
- People on NextDoor who are like, “Does Anyone Have a Brand New Fridge They Want to Give Away?” Or similar. I get that there’s technically no harm in asking, and I also get that you just MIGHT find someone who feels like being a good neighbor. But I once saw requests for a new toilet, an astronomy book, and someone who would let a stranger crash on their couch for the night (!) in the same day. I know I shouldn’t be THIS annoyed by it, but I JUST AM.
- When my coupons won’t load at a Fast Food Place. I once refused to pay at a Taco Bell because they couldn’t scan my gift card, because I wouldn’t have gone there if I’d known their scanner was down (I feel like this is information that should have been stated upfront). I was like, “no thanks, keep my burritos,” but ended up just getting them free instead. So I guess I’m not THAT salty about this one.
- Stupid questions. I hate to break it to every teacher I ever had, but there ARE stupid questions. Like my husband asking where the pajamas are. In the exact same place they’ve been since the day our child was born. You KNOW this. I know you do. Just think my love! And then I won’t LOSE.MY.MIND. For the love of God just help me out here.
- Places that don’t serve our preferred soda. It doesn’t matter if you’re team Coke or team Pepsi – because you’re going to be pissed half the time either way. And sometimes, it can feel like they’ve selected your soda nemesis just to spite you. They didn’t, but still. Tell that to a tired Mom that just wants her Coke. Or Pepsi.
- When I can’t get a spot for the kids at the YMCA. I actually feel especially bad about this one, because I’m getting a SCREAMING deal on the amount of money I spend in relation to the amount of hours I use their facilities. But still. If I really want to get in on Wednesday morning and I call Wednesday morning even though it’s totally on me and I should have called Monday? I die a little inside when they’re all filled up.
- Crappy creamer. It’s off in the distance – a big, beautiful carafe of free coffee, and then you get closer and there’s just a jug of that powdered stuff. Look, I’m not saying I need some soy organic lavender infused vanilla bean creamer. Hell, I don’t even need a flavored creamer. But something – anything – liquid please?
- Waking up at 6:17 even when the kids aren’t home. Like this morning. When the kids are at Grammy’s but they’ve trained me so good I’m up at dawn. How I miss the days when I was able to just sleep in and enjoy a lazy morning!! But at least I’ll drink my coffee while it’s hot today…
We know you all MUST have some Super-Salty-Pet-Peeves of your own. We’d love to hear them in the comment section!
(And yes we DO know these are all first world problems, thank you very much. We also get salty about important things too, but let’s be honest, we’re not laughing about those, and neither would you. So this list is gonna have to do for now.)